Re: Domains versus arrays versus typmods

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Domains versus arrays versus typmods
Date: 2010-10-21 06:51:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 20/10/10 01:47, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Comments?
>
> It might be reasonable to back-patch whatever we decide on into 9.0,
> because it is so new, but I would be reluctant to go back further
> unless we have some evidence that it's bothering people. It seems to
> me that this can could have a lot of worms in it, and I fear that
> there could be several rounds of fixes, which I would rather not
> inflict on users of supposedly-stable branches.

The work-around I applied when I stumbled across this was just to apply
an explicit cast before my function's RETURN. That neatly solves my
particular problem (which I at first thought was a formatting issue
somewhere in my app).

The real danger with this is the opportunity to end up with occasional
bad data in tables, quite possibly unnoticed. If I'd come across this in
an existing system rather than a new app I'm pretty sure it would have
confused me for a lot longer than it did.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd