Re: web site change is broken

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: web site change is broken
Date: 2010-10-18 18:07:02
Lists: pgsql-www

On 10/18/2010 01:37 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 19:20, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> On 10/18/2010 01:03 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 14:27, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>>
>> Something has broken the web site. If I click the link on
>> <http://www.postgresql.org/download/> that says "you can browse the
>> <http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp>download mirrors
>> directly, it takes me to ,
>> <http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp>, but that page has
>> some gadget that takes me to a mirror it chooses after 5 seconds, even
>> though I deliberately chose NOT to use the automatic choice. Please fix
>> this.
>>
>> How exactly did you choose NOT to use the automatic choice?
>>
>> FWIW, you should be able to get out of your situtation by cleaning
>> your cookies for postgresql.org (I believe there's a specific cookie
>> you can find if you want to keep the others)
>>
>> Previously, when I clicked the link for "download mirrors" it took me to a
>> list of mirrors and left me there. Now it takes me to the list of mirrors
>> and after 5 seconds takes me somewhere else.
>>
>> Why have that link at all if you aren't allowing people to choose which
>> mirror they want to use?
> None of that answers my question. And FWIW, that code hasn't changed
> since december 2008 - are you saying that's when it broke, and you
> haven't actually tried it since then, or are you claiming something
> broke more recently?

Yes it does answer your question. How did I choose not to use the
automatic choice? As I said, I clicked "download mirrors" which used to
work this way. Now, it's true I'm using a new browser, so maybe it only
worked that way in my old browser. But I maintain that if you invite
people to make their own choice of mirror with these words: "You can
download most of the software we publish from a mirror site using our
File Browser <http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/>. If you prefer, you can
browse the download mirrors
<http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/download/mirrors-ftp> directly." then
you should let them do it.

I did clear a couple of cookies like you suggested and it stopped.
However, as soon as I chose a mirror, when I went back it decided I must
want to use the same mirror again and promptly took me there. I guess I
could block cookies from the wwwmaster site, but that would be rather ugly.

cheers

andrew