Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, gnuoytr(at)rcn(dot)com, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How does PG know if data is in memory?
Date: 2010-10-13 03:16:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> ...Sybase named caches...segment off portions of the memory for
> specific caches... bind specific database
> objects (tables and indexes) to specific caches. ...
>
> When I posted to the list about it, the response was that LRU
> eviction was superior to any tuning any human would do. I didn't
> and don't believe that....
>
> FWIW, the four main reasons for using it were:
> (1) Heavily used data could be kept fully cached in RAM...

Lightly-used-but-important data seems like another use case.

LRU's probably far better than me at optimizing for the total
throughput and/or average response time. But if there's a
requirement:
"Even though this query's very rare, it should respond
ASAP, even at the expense of the throughput of the rest
of the system."
it sounds like this kind of hand-tuning might be useful.