Re: NoSQL -vs- SQL

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NoSQL -vs- SQL
Date: 2010-10-13 03:11:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2010/10/12 8:46, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> Just wondering how you guys feel about NoSQL and I just wanted to
> share the following article...
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10770
>
> Looking to read your feedback and / or opinions.

Seems a nice article. I like it. :)

I think "NoSQL is a new implementation built with old technologies".
Computing paradigm (and the hype) is repeatable.

I know there are several trade-offs on making decisions of technology
design, such as "Traditional RDBMS", "In-Memory Datatabase",
"Key-Value Store" or something like that.

A few years ago, I heard that Michael Stonebraker said
"There is no new (theoretical) invention around the database technology.
The key is integration of existing technologies". I agree with that.
At that time, he was working for the C-store.

Anyway, NoSQL is grown as a kind of storage, not a database to process
business transactions (As the article mentioned, early MySQL users knew
an importance of web-scale storage). However, when NoSQL process more
critical transactions or critical user data, it needs to be ACID-compliant,
and needs to have several technologies around traditional RDBMSes.
For example, Cassandra is now having its write-ahead-logging.

So, from my viewpoint, NoSQL is a subset of traditional database
technologies, and I agree with that it would deliver values
in some use cases, because there are several trade-offs and overheads
on existing technologies in such use cases.

However, NoSQL is still lacking important features and/or properties to
process business transactions, and there are only few sites having needs
for true Facebook-size scalability.

Thanks,
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>