Re: Understanding PostgreSQL Storage Engines

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Carlos Mennens <carlos(dot)mennens(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Understanding PostgreSQL Storage Engines
Date: 2010-10-09 03:32:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/09/2010 05:30 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I know that MySQL uses MyISAM storage engine by default and was just
> trying to look on Google to try and see if I could understand what
> storage engine does PostgreSQL use by default when I generate a
> database / table. Is there some way someone (me) who knows nothing
> about how a ORDBMS works understand the difference between all storage
> engine options and which does PostgreSQL use by default.

In MySQL terms, PostgreSQL's one and only storage engine is much more
like InnoDB than MyISAM. That's not to say it's particularly like
MySQL+InnoDB in behaviour, only much *more* like InnoDB than MyISAM.
It's an MVCC design with proper transaction support (like any real
database) with minimal locking and a focus on concurrency, data
integrity and correctness.

If you're used to MySQL, you'll want to read this:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Counting

as it bites MySQL people all the time.

--
Craig Ringer