Re: recovery.conf location

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, DimitriFontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery.conf location
Date: 2010-10-03 10:37:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02.10.2010 00:20, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus<josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
>> Then instead of having a trigger file, the admin could just update the
>> status file in recovery.conf and save it (or overwrite the file).
>
> This doesn't seem like a terribly bright idea. We've expended megabytes
> of list traffic on arguing about automatic updates of config files, and
> still don't have a generally acceptable solution. Now you want to make
> standby-mode transitions contingent on solving that problem?
>
> Keep the state separate from the config, please.

There is also a permissions problem if whatever triggers the failover
needs to modify a config file. A separate trigger file can be in
/var/run/foo or something, but recovery.conf is in the data directory.
You don't want to give monitoring tools that decide on failover write
access to the data directory.

--
Heikki Linnakangas