configure gaps

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: configure gaps
Date: 2010-10-02 17:01:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

While trying to build PostgreSQL 9.0 on a machine where the SA had
omitted to install a lot of the required packages, I noticed a couple of
cases where configure passed but the build failed due to missing pieces
in the toolset.

Specifically, a) when python was installed but python-devel was not,
configure passed by the compile for python failed quite miserably, and
b) with gettext installed but not gettext-tools (and in particular
xgettext was missing), the NLS stuff failed.

I'm, not sure if this is worth fixing, but it seemed worth mentioning.
ISTM that if we pass configure, we should be able to assume that the
requisite build tools, libraries, include files etc. are present.

cheers

andrew