Re: Proposal: plpgsql - "for in array" statement

From: Darren Duncan <darren(at)darrenduncan(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Proposal: plpgsql - "for in array" statement
Date: 2010-09-29 05:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 09/28/2010 09:31 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>>
>> Code that quotes all of its identifiers, such as with:
>>
>> FOR EACH "var" IN "array_expr" LOOP ...
>
> This doesn't help in the least if the array is an expression rather than
> simply a variable - we're not going to start quoting expressions.

I wrote that wrong. I should have said "array_var" not "array_expr". I am
certainly not advocating quoting expressions, and didn't mean to imply that
here. My point was that if a token is always interpreted as a keyword rather
than an identifier when there is ambiguity, then quoting would let users name an
identifier "each" or "EACH". In any event, I will not push this since it
doesn't address the real issue of language changes not breaking the general case
of legacy code; it only says how users can insulate themselves. -- Darren Duncan