Re: zero_damaged_pages doesn't work

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: zero_damaged_pages doesn't work
Date: 2010-09-27 23:13:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On 9/27/2010 4:53 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> The reason it tells you that data will be destroyed is that that could
> very well happen.

Re-parsing this, I think there was a mis-communication :

I'm not at all suggesting that the doc should _not_ say that data will
be corrupted.
I'm suggesting that in addition to what it currently says, it also
should say that the on-disk data won't be
changed by the page zeroing mode.

In my searching I found countless people over the past few years who had
been similarly confused into believing that it would write back the
zeroed page
to disk.