Re: Enable logging requires restart

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enable logging requires restart
Date: 2010-09-24 15:52:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/24/2010 08:22 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 24 September 2010 13:17, Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM, Thom Brown<thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
>>> At the moment, to enable logging, a service restart is required. Is
>>> there any way to remove this requirement or is there a fundamental
>>> reason why it must always be like that?
>> Are you speaking of the logging_collector GUC? I think the difficulty
>> is - if you wanted to turn this on without a restart, how would you
>> get the collector's stdin to be each backend's stdout/stderr? I don't
>> see any way to do it, actually.
> This is probably blasphemy, but "off" would log to a symbolic link
> pointing to /dev/null, which is repointed to a log_file if reloaded
> with "on"?

No, off simply means we aren't collecting the log, not that we aren't
producing any. All the buildfarm tests run without using the logging
collector, but they DO produce logs :-)

What's the use case for making it settable on the fly? I can't see that
this is worth the probably quite large amount of coding that would be
required.

cheers

andrew