Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-22 08:21:10
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 09/21/2010 08:05 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Hmm, no reason? The reason is that the alternative is that the session
> would hang until a standby arrived that offered that level of service.
> Why would you want that behaviour? Would you really request that option?

I think I now agree with Simon on that point. It's only an issue in
multi-master replication, where continued operation would lead to a
split-brain situation.

With master-slave, you only need to make sure your master stays the
master even if the standby crash(es) are followed by a master crash. If
your cluster-ware is too clever and tries a fail-over on a slave that's
quicker to come up, you get the same split-brain situation.

Put another way: if you let your master continue, don't ever try a
fail-over after a full-cluster crash.

Regards

Markus Wanner