Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Elvis Pranskevichus" <el(at)prans(dot)net>
Cc: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Date: 2010-09-21 18:01:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Elvis Pranskevichus <el(at)prans(dot)net> wrote:

> Here's a quick and easy way to move dev history to a new repo:
>
> $ cd postgresql.old
> $ git checkout yourbranch
>
> # stream your commits into a "patch mailbox"
> $ git format-patch --stdout master..HEAD > patches.mbox
>
> # switch to the new repo
> $ cd ../postgresql
>
> # create a branch if not already
> $ git checkout -b yourbranch
>
> # apply the "patch mailbox"
> $ git am ../postgresql.old/patches.mbox
>
> That should do the trick. Your dev history will be kept.

Thanks for the recipe. (And thanks to all others who responded.)

That still leaves me wondering how I get that out to my public git
repo without someone resetting it on the server. Or do I have the
ability to clean out the old stuff at:

ssh://git(at)git(dot)postgresql(dot)org/users/kgrittn/postgres.git

so that I can push the result of the above to it cleanly?

-Kevin