moving development branch activity to new git repo

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Date: 2010-09-21 15:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I just went to do my usual merge from the git version of HEAD (at
git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git), and it seemed to be
doing an awful lot of work to prepare to attempt the merge. That
leads me to think that the newly converted git, or a copy of it, is
now at that location, which is cool. But I have concerns about what
to do with my development branch off the old one.

I'm afraid that in spite of several attempts, I don't yet properly
have my head around the git approach, and fear that I'll muck things
up without a little direction; and I'd be surprised if I'm the only
one in this position.

Can someone give advice, preferably in the form of a "recipe", for
how to set up a new repo here based on the newly converted repo, and
merge the work from my branch (with all the related history) into a
branch off the new repo?

Thanks for any advice.

-Kevin