Pg_upgrade performance

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Pg_upgrade performance
Date: 2010-09-21 04:14:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I've been having a look at this guy, trying to get a handle on how much
down time it will save.

As a quick check, I tried upgrading a cluster with a 1 non default db
containing a scale 100 pgbench schema:

- pg_upgrade : 57 s
- pgdump/pg_restore : 154 s

So, a reasonable saving all up - but I guess still a sizable chunk of
downtime in the case of a big database to copy the user relation files.

I notice there is a "link" option that would be quicker I guess - would
it make sense to have a "move" option too? (perhaps with pg_upgrade
writing an "un-move" script to move them back just in case).

Regards

Mark