Re: Ingres statdump equivalent for postgresql

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: badair(at)epc-instore(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ingres statdump equivalent for postgresql
Date: 2010-09-17 22:13:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

badair(at)epc-instore(dot)com wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool that will enable me to dump the data frequency histograms
> for a postgresql table.

#!/bin/bash
DB="$1"
TABLE="$2"
psql -d $DB -x -c "SELECT
tablename,attname,null_frac,avg_width,n_distinct,correlation,most_common_vals,most_common_freqs,histogram_bounds
FROM pg_stats where tablename='$TABLE'"

Run that, pass it database then table name, and you'll get the data for
each column in that table. That should get you started; refer to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/catalog-pg-statistic.html
and to
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/planner-stats-details.html
for more details.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us