Re: git: uh-oh

From: Max Bowsher <maxb(at)f2s(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git: uh-oh
Date: 2010-08-20 07:49:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 19/08/10 10:35, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 07:00, Michael Haggerty <mhagger(at)alum(dot)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Is there some way to make cvs2git work this way, and just not bother
>>> even trying to create merge commits, or is that fundamentally
>>> impossible and we need to look at another tool?
>>
>> The good news: (I just reminded myself/realized that) Max Bowsher has
>> already implemented pretty much exactly what you want in the cvs2svn
>> trunk version, including noting in the commit messages any cherry-picks
>> that are not reflected in the repo ancestry.
>
> Ah, that's great.

I should mention that the way it notes this is to reference commits by
their timestamp, author and initial line of log message - it does this
because cvs2git doesn't know the commit sha ever - that doesn't appear
until the stream is fed through git fast-import. I did briefly raise the
idea of augmenting the fast-import process to support substituting
fast-import marks to shas in log messages, but didn't get time to take
it beyond an idea.

>> The bad news: It is broken [1].  But I don't think it should be too much
>> work to fix it.
>
> That's less great of course, but it gives hope!
>
> Thanks for your continued efforts!

I've just made a commit to cvs2svn trunk. I hope this should now be fixed.

Max.