Re: BUG #5612: Database Integrity

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Ramachandran S" <nic(dot)srama(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5612: Database Integrity
Date: 2010-08-11 15:10:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Ramachandran S" <nic(dot)srama(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I have observed that if a table exceeds size (default
> installation) 1 GB. The table when it exceeds 1 GB a file is
> created say 1811(table) with 1811.1 and further records added are
> insertted into this file. My Question if I remove the file 1811.1
> say still database is starting up? I will never know that such a
> file existed nad remved and data of 1811 is also availble?
> How can stop the start the database when such situation recur.
> pgfsck was available 8.2

I don't see any hint of a PostgreSQL bug here. Since there's not
really enough in your post to get very far, please re-post to a more
appropriate list. pgsql-general is probably your best bet.

I'm not entirely clear on whether you are asking a hypothetical
question or whether your database cluster is currently out of
commission because you mangled the underlying files. If you're
trying to recover from such damage, please post actual details.
See this page for suggestions on what to include:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

If this is all hypothetical, my advice is to review the backup
documentation and always keep up-to-date backups, and never delete
files in the manner you describe.

-Kevin