Re: english parser in text search: support for multiple words in the same position

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: english parser in text search: support for multiple words in the same position
Date: 2010-08-02 14:21:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sushant Sinha <sushant354(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Yes thats what I am planning to do. I just wanted to see if anyone
> can help me in estimating whether this is doable in the current
> parser or I need to write a new one. If possible, then some idea
> on how to go about implementing?

The current tsearch parser is a state machine which does clunky mode
switches to handle special cases like you describe. If you're
looking at doing very much in there, you might want to consider a
rewrite to something based on regular expressions. See discussion
in these threads:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/200912102005.16560.andres@anarazel.de

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B210D9E020000250002D344@gw.wicourts.gov

That was actually at the top of my personal PostgreSQL TODO list
(after my current project is wrapped up), but I wouldn't complain if
someone else wanted to take it. :-)

-Kevin