Create database from template very slow

From: Mark Phillips <mark(dot)phillips(at)mophilly(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Create database from template very slow
Date: 2019-12-04 04:17:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

This is likely not a bug, so please point me in the right direction if that is the case.

In our application, a copy of the local database is made at launch using...
CREATE DATABASE myCopy FROM TEMPLATE currentDB;

On linux and MacOS this operation completed in 5 seconds or so. On Windows (10 at present) it takes over a minute or more.

I would like to understand why this would be, and what might be done to speed it up on Windows.

- Mark Phillips