Re: SHOW TABLES

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Stefan Kaltenbrunner" <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Rob Wultsch" <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Dimitri Fontaine" <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Bernd Helmle" <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Stephen Frost" <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: SHOW TABLES
Date: 2010-07-18 19:24:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
> On 07/18/2010 08:58 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> I am quite a bit surprised about all this discussion. I have a
>> very hard time we will find anything people agree about and can
>> remember well enough to be usefull for both manual and automatic
>> processing.
>>
>> I agree that the internal pg_* tables are not exactly easy to
>> query. And that the information_schema. ones arent complete
>> enough and have enough concept mismatch to be confusing. But why
>> all this?
>
> exactly my thoughts - but as I said earlier maybe this is actually
> an opportunity to look at newsysviews again?

I can't picture anything which could be done with views which would
allow me to issue one statement and see everything of interest about
a table (etc.). You know: tablespace, owner, permissions, columns,
primary key, foreign keys, check constraints, exclusion constraints,
ancestor tables, child tables, and whatever interesting features I
missed or we later add. Other products allow that to be generated
server-side, so that it is available to any and all clients. I
think we should join the crowd in this respect.

-Kevin