Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump and --inserts / --column-inserts
Date: 2010-07-17 01:13:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On 17/07/10 04:26, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Hmm.
> For years I have been advocating to always use fully qualified column
> lists in INSERTs (for clarity and stability)
> And now I learn it's slower when I do so :(

If you're not doing hundreds of thousands of identical ones at a time,
it's still very much a good idea. The costs of parsing and transmission
are usually pretty insignificant, and the readability/maintenance
benefits are huge.

It's only when dealing with bulk loading that this sort of thing starts
to be worth thinking about.

--
Craig Ringer