Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Andras Fabian <Fabian(at)atrada(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG_DUMP very slow because of STDOUT ??
Date: 2010-07-13 12:11:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On 13/07/10 18:57, Andras Fabian wrote:
> OK, so here I should - maybe - look around the sockets. Hmm. Well, in the case of my experiments we are talking about Unix sockets, as I am only connecting locally to the server (not real networking involved). Are there any ideas, where such a Unix Socket could impose such extreme buffering ??? And can/could I control its behavior at all?? (or would it be a thing, which can only be controlled from C-Code ... which would fall back to PostgreSQL as the initiator).

Confirm your issue is actually the socket between client and server first.

Are you sure the client isn't buffering the data? Or a pager like
"less"? Or terminal scrollback?

Run "top" and sort by memory use by pressing Shift-M. Run your query.
Look at the output and see if anything grows lots.

You really need to start looking at if this is memory consumption, and
what's using it. Don't get fixated on one answer until you've excluded
other possibilities.

--
Craig Ringer