Re: BUG #5556: "cannot drop active portal" and "ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded" lead to server crash

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Robert Walker <robwalker01(at)speedymail(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5556: "cannot drop active portal" and "ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE exceeded" lead to server crash
Date: 2010-07-13 03:15:58
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 13/07/10 05:00, Robert Walker wrote:

> The intent of what I was originally trying to do is to intentionally cause a
> unique constraint violation for the sake of testing to ensure that I won't
> get duplicate data in the final design. But when the unique violation
> occurs, a series of other (possibly related?) errors occur that lead to the
> crash.

> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual
> way.

It'd be really nice to have a backtrace of that. PostgreSQL binaries for
Windows are released with debug information, and if you can reproduce
the crash it's not hard to get a stack trace showing a fair bit of
information about the state the backend was in when it crashed.

See:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Windows

You'll need Debugging Tools for Windows or even better, the Visual C++
Express Edition. Both are free downloads. If you have a paid version of
Visual Studio, that's even better.

It is very important to set your symbol path up properly, and make sure
that the information you collect is useful. See the instructions above.

--
Craig Ringer

Tech-related writing: http://soapyfrogs.blogspot.com/