Re: EDB editions

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EDB editions
Date: 2010-06-28 17:17:40
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/26/2010 01:32 AM, RP Khare wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the difference between PGSQL provided by www.postgresql.org
> and www.enterprisedb.com?
>
> EnterpriseDB offers three variants:
>
> 1. Simple PostgreSQL
> 2. Standard Server, and
> 3. Advanced Server
>

> I want to migrate my production MySQL database to PostgreSQL. If I go
> for EnterpriseDB editions, is there any chance that those editions get
> discontinued later.
>
> I can see that PostgreSQL Plus edition is also free. Can I later
> migrate PostgreSQL plus database to community PostgreSQL?

Just my 0.02, but I would consider EnterpriseDB if:

1. You need contract support for PostgreSQL whether due to technical
needs that extend beyond what the mailing lists can provide or because
there are organizational requirements to have such support on-call.

2. You need some of the features that EnterpriseDB adds to PostgreSQL -
especially Oracle compatibility.

3. You find compelling added features in EnterpriseDB.

If you use some of the added features in the EnterpriseDB variants you
might find it more difficult to switch to vanilla PostgreSQL. If you
start with vanilla PostgreSQL and then decide you want to move to
EnterpriseDB, I doubt you will encounter much trouble.

Any project or company *can* disappear or get discontinued. For
open-source projects this can happen when the developers drift away or
are all employed by a single company which falls on hard-times.
PostgreSQL shines in this area because the core-developers are scattered
around the world and employed by a diverse group of companies including
EnterpriseDB who have vested interests in ensuring PostgreSQL's viability.

Cheers,
Steve