Re: redhat and postgresql management

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: David Bear <David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: redhat and postgresql management
Date: 2010-06-18 17:40:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

David Bear wrote:
> I have RHEL 5.4 (64bit) that has a postgresql-lib 8.1 installed to
> satisfy dependancy for a dozen other packages including apache, php
> and other apache modules, and subversion.
>
> I want to install postresql 8.3 but yum informs me of the version
> conflict of the library. May i safely just over write the
> postgresql-lib with the 8.3 lib ??

No. I wrote a detailed guide to exactly how to step around this problem
by installing the compat-postgresql-libs package provided by the
PostgreSQL 8.3 package set you may find useful:
http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/postgresql/pgrpm.htm

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us