connecting to postgresql using SSL without a certificate

From: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: connecting to postgresql using SSL without a certificate
Date: 2010-06-15 07:25:39
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

I wanted to ask if the sertificate at ...\Application Data\postgresql
directory is necessary to make a secure connection to the server? I was
a bit surprised when after deleting the certificate and key files from
...\Application Data\postgresql I was still capable of connecting to the
server witch has hostssl entry for my computer address. The pgAdmin
shows "Encryption SSL encripted " in server properties. What am I
missing here?...

Client:
pgAdmin v 1.10.2 rev:8025
OS: WinXP + SP3