Re: warning message in standby

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: warning message in standby
Date: 2010-06-14 06:16:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/06/10 04:19, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> If my streaming replication stops working, I want to know about it as
>>> soon as possible. WARNING just doesn't cut it.
>>>
>>> This needs some better thought.
>>>
>>> If we PANIC, then surely it will PANIC again when we restart unless we
>>> do something. So we can't do that. But we need to do something better
>>> than
>>>
>>> WARNING there is a bug that will likely cause major data loss
>>> HINT you'll be sacked if you miss this message
>>
>> +1. I was making this same argument (less eloquently) upthread.
>> I particularly like the errhint().
>
> I am wondering what action would be most likely to get the
> administrator's attention.

I've committed the patch to disconnect the SR connection in that case.
If the message needs improvement, let's do that separately once we
figure out what to do.

Seems like we need something like WARNING that doesn't cause the process
to die, but more alarming like ERROR/FATAL/PANIC. Or maybe just adding a
hint to the warning will do. How about

WARNING: invalid record length at 0/4005330
HINT: An invalid record was streamed from master. That can be a sign of
corruption in the master, or inconsistency between master and standby
state. The record will be re-fetched, but that is unlikely to fix the
problem. You may have to restore standby from base backup.

--
Heikki Linnakangas