Re: Autovaccum settings while Bulk Loading data

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Ambarish Bhattacharya <b(dot)ambarish(at)live(dot)in>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Autovaccum settings while Bulk Loading data
Date: 2010-06-10 15:27:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Please keep the mailing list CC'd, so that others can help.

On 10/06/10 15:30, Ambarish Bhattacharya wrote:
>> On 10/06/10 11:47, Ambarish Bhattacharya wrote:
>>> It would be helpful if you can suggest me the appropriate Autovacuum settings for handling this large data as my autovacuum setting is hanging the entire process.
>>
>> What do you mean by "hanging the entire process"?
>
> Hanging the entire process means...the autovacuum and auto analyzes starts and after that there is no acitivity i could see in the postgres log related to the bulk loading and when checked the postgres processes from the task manager i could see few of the postgres porcess are still running and had to be killed from there..normal shut down in not happening in this case...

You'll have to provide a lot more details if you want people to help
you. How do you bulk load the data? What kind of log messages do you
normally get in the PostgreSQL log related to bulk loading?

Autovacuum or autoanalyze should not interfere with loading data, even
if it runs simultaneously.

--
Heikki Linnakangas