Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <h(dot)goebel(at)goebel-consult(dot)de>,<bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date: 2010-06-10 11:46:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hartmut Goebel wrote:

> re. 1): While this may be true for many applications it is using
> hand-crafted SQL statements, it is plain wrong for all applications
> using some abstraction layer. These layers need to quote column
> names anyway and the application does not need to be changed here
> at all.

I have a feeling that many here don't understand how ubiquitous such
frameworks are. Our programmers have no way to get a statement to
the database from within the application *without* all identifiers
being quoted.

On the other hand, my conversion software has always been a command
line with pg_dump piped to psql. (We are making our first test of
Bruce's new techniques this week, though.)

-Kevin