Re: Dell Poweredge server and Postgres

From: u235sentinel <u235sentinel(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dell Poweredge server and Postgres
Date: 2010-06-08 01:43:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 06/07/2010 12:13 PM, Vick Khera wrote:

> Ditto. Of late I'm buying HPs, but I haven't yet put one into
> database service. Our DB servers are all currently Sun with fibre
> channel cards to external RAID systems.

What kind of external RAID systems do you connect your Sun servers to?
I've talked to Oracle/Sun and haven't been able to get a solution even
similar to the 4540 systems. I'm hoping to find something that will
allow a couple disk controllers to a subsystem. Even one would be an
improvement. That way if I have to I can setup a ZFS pool in whatever
RAID config I want across multiple controllers and disks. I'm figuring
a 2TB database will choke if I only have one controller handling more
than a dozen or so disks.

Dell's solution doesn't sound right to me. We've looked at HP. They
are more expensive with similar hardware to what Dell is offering.