Re: BUG #5490: Using distinct for select list causes insert of timestamp string literal to fail

From: Farid Zidan <farid(at)zidsoft(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5490: Using distinct for select list causes insert of timestamp string literal to fail
Date: 2010-06-07 11:32:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Craig,

> I know it's not what you want (Pg behaving how you expect out of the
> box) but creating implicit casts to the desired types will resolve
> your immediate issue. You still have to run some Pg-specific code, but
> it can be restricted to your DDL where there's (presumably) already
> plenty.
My main concern is identifying this issue by PosgtreSQL developers so it
can be addressed as some point in the future. I believe that is done now
and the issue is identified.

As it happens the sql in question is part of a common generic sql script
file where the same script file is run against 10+ different DBMSs to
update the database data from a previous release (all 10+ DBMS schemas
have the same table/column names, logical structure, logical data types,
etc). Having said that, I can introduce a PG-only data update file as a
workaround for PG in this case but not without complicating things quite
a bit. However, due to limited time and schedule, I will be just
accepting the error (based on cost-analysis of the error) in this case.

Best regards,
Farid

--
www.zidsoft.com <http://www.zidsoft.com/> CompareData: compare and
synchronize SQL DBMS data visually between two databases using ODBC drivers