Re: Weird XFS WAL problem

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Weird XFS WAL problem
Date: 2010-06-03 18:27:38
Lists: pgsql-performance

Craig James wrote:
> This is really hard to believe, because the bonnie++ numbers and dd(1)
> numbers look good (see my original post). But it's totally
> repeatable. It must be some really unfortunate "just missed the next
> sector going by the write head" problem.

Commit performance is a separate number to measure that is not reflected
in any benchmark that tests sequential performance. I consider it the
fourth axis of disk system performance (seq read, seq write, random
IOPS, commit rate), and directly measure it with the sysbench fsync test
I recommended already. (You can do it with the right custom pgbench
script too).

You only get one commit per rotation on a drive, which is exactly what
you're seeing: a bit under the 120 spins/second @ 7200 RPM. Attempts
to time things just right to catch more than one sector per spin are
extremely difficult to accomplish, I spent a week on that once without
making any good progress. You can easily get 100MB/s on reads and
writes but only manage 100 commits/second.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us