Re: Clarification required: autovacuum and VACUUM command mode

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Narasimha Murthy-VRFX87" <VRFX87(at)motorola(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Clarification required: autovacuum and VACUUM command mode
Date: 2010-05-14 13:40:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Narasimha Murthy-VRFX87" <VRFX87(at)motorola(dot)com> wrote:
> Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Le 14/05/2010 14:52, Narasimha Murthy-VRFX87 a écrit :

>>> VACUUM command works either in plain mode (if we do not specify
>>> FULL) or in FULL mode. When autovacuum is enabled, what mode
>>> does it run the VACUUM command (in plain mode or in FULL mode)?
>>
>> In plain mode.

> How do I check this? Please clarify.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/routine-vacuuming.html#VACUUM-FOR-SPACE-RECOVERY

Since VACUUM FULL is not recommended for routine use, it would
hardly make sense to use it for autovacuum. If you want to confirm,
try selecting from a table while autovacuum is vacuuming it -- since
VACUUM FULL locks the table against all other uses, the ability to
select proves it's not VACUUM FULL.

By the way, I hope you're not considering scheduling regular VACUUM
FULL runs against your database. You would wind up regretting that.
If you don't believe that, I recommend that you reread the
above-cited section until you're convinced.

-Kevin