Re: Patch for PKST timezone

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Aftab Hussain <aftab(dot)se(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for PKST timezone
Date: 2010-05-11 08:45:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
> Aftab Hussain <aftab(dot)se(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Please accept attached patch for the following problem.
>
> This patch has not been replied, but I can reproduce the error with:
> =# SET timezone = 'Asia/Karachi';
> =# SELECT timeofday()::timestamptz;
> ERROR: invalid input syntax for type timestamp with time zone: "Tue May 11 13:26:53.264293 2010 PKST"
>
> Should we add PKST timezone? Also, I found a list of timezones[1]
> and we don't have 36 tznames in the list. Should we also need them?

I don't think we want to include all timezone names in the default
config, timezone abbreviations aren't always unique for example. But we
should include PKST because we already include PKT; it would be nasty
for an application to work during winter, and stop working when the
daylight saving time begins.

--
Heikki Linnakangas