Re: Dell Perc HX00 RAID controllers: What's inside?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dell Perc HX00 RAID controllers: What's inside?
Date: 2010-05-09 21:20:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

Craig James wrote:
> Now that it's time to buy a new computer, Dell has changed their RAID
> models from the Perc6 to Perc H200 and such. Does anyone know what's
> inside these? I would hope they've stuck with the Megaraid controller...

The H700 and H800 are both based on the LSI 2180 chipset:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/Storlink/H700H800/en/UG/HTML/chapterb.htm

I'm not sure what's in the H200, but since it does not have a write
cache you don't want one of those anyway.

Note that early versions of these cards shipped such that you could not
use non-Dell drives with them. Customer feedback was so overwhelmingly
negative that last month they announced that the next firmware update
will remove that restriction:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/906/p/19324790/19689719.aspx#19689719

If I were you, I'd tell Dell that you refuse to make your purchase until
that firmware release is actually available, such that your system ships
without that restriction. That's the right thing to do for the
protection of your company, and it sends the right message to their
sales team too: this sort of nonsense only reduces their sales.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us