Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_standby_delay considered harmful
Date: 2010-05-06 21:26:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Remember, delaying wal application just delays making the standby a
> master and makes the slave data appear staler. We can just tell people
> that the larger their queries are, the larger this delay will be. If
> they want to control this, they can set 'statement_timeout' already.

While a useful defensive component, statement_timeout is a user setting,
so it can't provide guaranteed protection against a WAL application
denial of service from a long running query. A user that overrides the
system setting and kicks off a long query puts you right back into
needing a timeout to ensure forward progress of standby replay.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us