Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 18:27:27
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 19:55 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> It's safer to run
>> with recovery_connections off if you don't need the feature.
>
> Presumably your advice is also that people should not run with Streaming
> Replication if they don't need that feature?

Umm, yes. Why would you bother to set it up if you don't need it?

> And that we should also
> have an enable_joinremoval flag so the risk it poses can be minimized?
> You didn't argue this way with regard to vacuum/FSM in 8.4, which was
> much more critical; we're just talking about a standby server.

This is getting bizarre...

I wasn't really following the join removal discussions, but it seems
much safer and less complex. And it would not have been feasible to have
both implementations of FSM around and have the user to choose. I have
been relieved by the lack of bug reports on the new FSM, that was a big
change that impacted all installations.

--
Heikki Linnakangas