Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date: 2010-04-26 12:05:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Personally I agree with your objection to "crash" but not with the
> objection to "standby". Maybe this would be appropriate:
>
> wal_mode = minimal | archive | hot_standby

Ok, here's a patch implementing this proposal. It adds a new wal_mode
setting, leaving archive_mode as it is. If you try to enable
archive_mode when wal_mode is 'minimal', you get a warning and
archive_mode is silently ignored. Likewise streaming replication
connections are not allowed if wal_mode is 'minimal'.
recovery_connections now does nothing in the master.

A bit more bikeshedding before I commit this:

* Should an invalid combination throw an ERROR and refuse to start,
instead of just warning?

* How about naming the parameter wal_level instead of wal_mode? That
would better convey that the higher levels add stuff on top of the lower
levels, instead of having different modes that are somehow mutually
exclusive.

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size