PSQL segmentation fault after setting host

From: Morgan Taschuk <m(dot)taschuk(at)newcastle(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PSQL segmentation fault after setting host
Date: 2010-04-22 17:08:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. When running psql from the command line with
the PGHOST environment variable or the -h command line host set, it
throws a segmentation fault.

$ psql -U morgan -d cid -h localhost
Segmentation fault
$ export PGHOST=rhyme.ncl.ac.uk
$ psql -U morgan -d cid
Segmentation fault

I can run psql from another machine with -h accessing the same database.
I can also run psql without a host.

$ export PGHOST=
$ psql -U morgan -d cid
psql (8.4.3)
Type "help" for help.

cid=# \q

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 with Postgresql 8.4 I have uninstalled, purged,
and then reinstalled postgresql-8.4, postgresql-client-common
postgresql-common from Ubuntu repositories. I'm not sure what else to
do. Is there something silly that I'm missing?

Please, if there are any logs or anywhere else I can look for more
information on what is actually happening, I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Morgan Taschuk