Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bugs that have not been replied-to on list
Date: 2010-04-19 07:59:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner
> <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc> wrote:
>> Jasen Betts wrote:

>>> you could set the Bug tracking system to CC every report to the list and
>>> possibly have the list refuse posts that are replies to these
>>> autoposts so that responses must go through the BTS. alternately you
>>> could possibly set something up so that responses also go into bug
>>> report on the BTS.
>> the original plan was to keep the bug report form as it is and just call out
>> to the BTS to get a bug id. The form would then just sent the report like it
>> does now. The difference would have been that the tracker is subscribed to
>> the list and because it "knows" about the bug-id in question it could
>> actually track all the responses as if they were created through the BTS.
>> That way the only thing left to do in the BTS would have been actually
>> marking a bug as closed/todo/whatever - it would be trivial however to
>> generate the kind of stuff robert generated manually like "bugs nobody
>> replied to yet" or "bug not replied to within X days".
>> The prototype we had used bugzilla's xml-rpc interface and the
>> email-interface for this but i guess you can do similiar things with other
>> trackers.
>
> That all sounds pretty reasonable to me, though I would favor using
> something other than Bugzilla for the tracker. I'm not really sure if
> there's anything that I'd consider truly good out there, but I've
> always found Bugzilla pretty terrible. Then again, a bird in the hand
> might be worth two in the bush.

well BZ is terrible (but so are all the other trackers) - but for the
usecase I envisioned I would actually just use it as the backend engine
and have a few selected views "not replied yet", "not closed" etc juste
exported on a dashboard (or as an RSS feed).
I think we would not even need to expose the webinterface to the wider
community, what we probably want is something that let's us keep the
current workflow but provides a minimalistic status/statistics/dashboard
feature on top.

Stefan