Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation"

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alexandre Leclerc <aleclerc(at)ipso(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum Full (PG 8.1) - Urgent help needed - Cancel & transaction "liberation"
Date: 2010-04-16 13:59:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Alexandre Leclerc wrote:
> - 2. Could we stop VACUUM FULL and simply restart postmaster and
> starting a normal VACUUM even if it's slow?

This is what you want to do. VACUUM FULL is the slow way--much, much
slower--and it is not needed to clean up from wraparound issues. Here's
two more opinions on that:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/5224.1255142294@sss.pgh.pa.us

And here's some notes about why you should avoid VACUUM FULL:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/VACUUM_FULL

(Note that you don't have a good CLUSTER implementation in your 8.1
server, so using that to clean up tables isn't an option)

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us