Re: solaris tarballs and pl/java

From: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: solaris tarballs and pl/java
Date: 2010-04-15 21:17:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On 4/15/2010 11:59 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> The tarball for 64bit 8.4.3 on Solaris Sparc is missing some ./pgxs/...
> files I seem to need to build pl/java. they exist in the 32bit version
> but at least of them, Makefile.global, appears quite build specific.

So, it seem to be painful to compile the java stuff... and upthread you
said someone "was more comfortable with java" and they were doing "some
sorta-statistical calculations"... is it really worth all that?

They could do it in perl and it would probably be just as fast. I mean,
they arent gonna write _that_ much stored procedure code, are they?

If they had questions there are several on this list that could help
them convert java to perl.

I'm just wondering... which is more expensive?

1) painful install pl/java, develop SP
2) install pl/perl, painful develop SP

-Andy