Re: Table inheritance

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: Zdravko Balorda <zdravko(dot)balorda(at)siix(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table inheritance
Date: 2010-03-26 15:15:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

Inheritance is not the replacement for foreign keys. Inheritance
mechanism is a sort of "create like" thing. Created table inherits
column names and types. Indexes and constraints are not inherited.
Foreign keys still have to be used to guarantee the logical consistency.

--

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA