Re: database connections and presenting data on the web

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Geoffrey <lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database connections and presenting data on the web
Date: 2010-03-18 17:03:05
Lists: pgsql-general

On 18/03/2010 9:19 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
> We are trying to determine the best solution for a web based
> application. We have 13 databases (separate postmaster for each
> database) that we need to retrieve data from in order to produce the web
> page. This data is changing on a regular basis.

A quick aside: do they really need to be separate databases? Have you
considered using schema within a single database instead? Doing things
that way has both advantages and disadvantages, so whether you want to
do it depends on your needs, but it's worth looking into.

Often, if you're pulling in data from separate databases that can be a
hint that your design is separating things into different DBs that
should perhaps be together in one.

--
Craig Ringer