Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Rob Wultsch <wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Building multiple indexes concurrently
Date: 2010-03-17 20:49:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andres Freund escribió:
>

>> I find it way much easier to believe such issues exist on a tables in
>> constrast to indexes. The likelihood to get sequential accesses on an index is
>> small enough on a big table to make it unlikely to matter much.
>>

> Vacuum walks indexes sequentially, for one.

That and index-based range scans were the main two use-cases I was
concerned would be degraded by interleaving index builds, compared with
doing them in succession. I work often with time-oriented apps that
have heavy "give me every record between <a> and <b>" components to
them, and good sequential index performance can be an important
requirement for that kind of application.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us