Re: kernel version impact on PostgreSQL performance

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>
Cc: Cyril Scetbon <cscetbon(dot)ext(at)orange-ftgroup(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: kernel version impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date: 2010-03-09 07:21:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Maybe that question is dumb, but why should a change in ext4 have an
> impact on a figure that was generated with ext3? To quote the link:
>
> "the PostgreSQL performance atop the EXT3 file-system has fallen off a cliff"

What I'm guessing is that after finding the root problem because it's
more obvious when combined with ext4, someone has now put the fix for it
in the right place for 2.6.33 so that it also impacts ext3 writes. That
would be more good news from a reliability perspective, and bad news
from an advocacy one because it looks really bad on benchmarks if the
writer doesn't understand how database commits to disk work--which seems
to the case at Phoronix. They really are not running the right sort of
PostgreSQL benchmarks at all over there.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us