Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

From: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date: 2010-03-03 09:45:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Going with a 3Ware SAS controller.
>

> Have some external enclosures with 16 15Krpm drives. They are older
> 15K rpms, but they should be good enough.
> Since the 15K rpms usually have better Transanctions per second I will
> put WAL and indexes in the external enclosure.

It sounds like you have a lot of hardware around - my guess it would be
worthwhile to do a test setup with one server hooked up with two 3ware
controllers. Also, I am not sure if it is wise to put the WAL on the
same logical disk as the indexes, but that is maybe for a different
thread (unwise to mix random and sequential io and also the wal has
demands when it comes to write cache).

regards,
Yeb Havinga