Re: BUG #5322: Time to perform vacuums

From: Eric Pailleau <eric(at)numlog(dot)fr>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5322: Time to perform vacuums
Date: 2010-02-11 16:39:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Robert Haas a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I can see VACUUM making VACUUM FULL faster. I don't think VACUUM FULL
>> should make VACUUM FULL ANALYZE faster.
>
> Err, let me correct myself. A second VACUUM FULL should be faster
> than the first one. But the two together I wouldn't expect to be
> faster than doing it all in one shot.
>
> ...Robert
Thank you Robert for your comments.

What seems to be a bug, could be a feature ?
May be performing a simple VACUUM first before a real VACUUM FULL
can be a solution to increase VACUUM FULL performances ?

(I mean VACUUM FULL could be done in 2 sequences , first a simple VACUUM then a real VACUUM FULL).

The time difference is sometime 1 for 10 ! But it should be confirmed on other platforms and OS ...

Thanks anyway, I will stay with my three commands sequence, waiting for the new CLUSTER command...

Postgreqlement .

--
Salutations - Best regards - mit freundlichen Grüssen