Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Tollef Fog Heen <tollef(dot)fog(dot)heen(at)collabora(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TCP keepalive support for libpq
Date: 2010-02-09 14:34:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> (please Cc me on replies, I am not subscribed)
>
> Hi,
>
> libpq currently does not use TCP keepalives.  This is a problem in our
> case where we have some clients waiting for notifies and then the
> connection is dropped on the server side.  The client never gets the FIN
> and thinks the connection is up.  The attached patch unconditionally
> adds keepalives.  I chose unconditionally as this is what the server
> does.  We didn't need the ability to tune the timeouts, but that could
> be added with reasonable ease.

ISTM that the default behavior should be keep alives disabled, as it is
now, and those wanting it can just set it in their apps:

setsockopt(PQsocket(conn), SOL_SOCKET, SO_KEEPALIVE, ...)

If you really want libpq to manage this, I think you need to expose the
probe interval and timeouts.  There should be some platform checks as
well.  Check out...

http://www.mail-archive.com/pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org/msg128603.html

--
Andrew Chernow