Re: Streaming replication in docs

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication in docs
Date: 2010-02-07 10:49:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thom Brown wrote:
> On 7 February 2010 10:20, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> The post about the dev docs needing more hot standby mentions prompted
>> me to have a look at how streaming replication is documented. Ignore
>> this if this has already been discussed (I couldn't find any posts),
>> but I couldn't find any mention of streaming replication except in the
>> write ahead log configuration. There doesn't seem to be anything in
>> the index linked to a description of this major feature, why you would
>> use it, or how it works. There's also no mention in the release
>> overview.
>>
>> This is probably due to it being a work in progress and hasn't been
>> written yet, but thought I'd raise it just in case.
>
> Okay, after some searching, I found some sections on streaming
> replication not referenced in the index:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/warm-standby.html#STREAMING-REPLICATION
>
> Streaming Replication Protocol:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/protocol-replication.html
>
> Main section about Streaming Replication: Maybe these should get
> indexed under streaming replication?

Yeah, as you noticed, the documentation for streaming replication is
currently non-existent. That obviously needs to be fixed. I think we
need to move the existing sections around, and of course add a lot of
documentation for the new streaming replication and hot standby specific
stuff. I proposed a new layout here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4B50A600.3090309@enterprisedb.com

which people seemed to agree with. If you want to help with that,
perhaps the best starting point would be to start writing text for the
new chapters of that new layout.

--
Heikki Linnakangas